Sunday 18 March 2012

My Response To: Christian Sims: Is This a Boring Video Game? By Erika Podnar (Christianity and Popular Culture)


Like Erika, I too feel that it is difficult to get truly “attached” to a video game character. No matter which game I’m playing, I feel that I can quite easily dissociate myself from the avatar that I am controlling on screen. However, I also agree with Erika’s point that the degree to which one becomes immersed in the video game experience can vary tremendously. Although I may not feel particularly connected with the video game characters I play, this is likely is due to the fact that gaming is of little importance to me. However, for those who do dedicate much of their time to playing video games, I can appreciate how a character can become an important part of their life. Ultimately, in my opinion, it boils down to a matter of personal interest.

For some, gaming can be a serious endeavour. 

However, I feel that the matter of personal interest is where Erika and I are at odds. One’s decision to play a video game can be influenced by many things, including advertising and peer pressure, however personal interest likely plays a much greater in role in determining how involved someone becomes in the gaming experience. Thus, although a Christian game may seem boring to many, to a select group it may be very appealing, and therein lies the dangers that Wagner is concerned about. It isn’t that Wagner believes that a Jesus avatar would be un-Christian, it is that the immersion, identification and degree of play possible in gaming can provide an interaction with Jesus that is not inline with how many interact with Christ today.[1] It ultimately stems from a concern that we really haven’t had much experience with any form of media that allows us to step in to Jesus’ shoes (or sandals …seems to be what he wears in movies), and the possibility for misrepresentation is definitely a concern. However, in light of Anton Kozlovic’s discussion of Christ-figures in film, we may not even realize when we are dealing with covert representations of Jesus, which is likely the case with many video game characters.[2] Thus we may already have experience with Christ-like avatars, calling to question Erika’s argument that Christ and gaming are incompatible.

"Infamous" a video game rife with Christian symbolism


[1] Rachel Wagner, “The Play is the Thing: Interactivity from Bible Fights to Passions of the Christ,” in Halos and Avatars: Playing Video Games with God, ed. Craig Detweiler (Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2010), 62.
[2] Anton Karl Kozlovic, “The Structural Characteristics of the Cinematic Christ-Figure,” Journal of Religion and Popular Culture 8 (2004): 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment